I can't spell out loud, nor can I decipher words spelled aloud. But Darren and I do both have a good vocabulary.
This afternoon, I felt we needed to get out of the house. But I wanted to discuss it with Darren without the child present understanding what we were saying. It took some skill.
"How about if we..." I began. Darren turned his attention from Wizard 101 to Wife. "If we purchased sustenance from the poultry place?"
Darren paused. "The Atlanta one or the Kentucky one?"
"Atlanta. Then we could proceed to an open-air area to enjoy our repast."
"Sounds great to me!"
So we rounded up the kids, got supper at Chick-Fil-A, and ate it at a park.
-- SJ
Saturday, June 04, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Sara! I love your way with words :)
Oh my gosh... so funny!! I love it when Dana tries to spell aloud to me. He is on the 5th word and I am still trying to figure out the 1st word he spelled. Then he gets frustrated, and tries to finger spell. That words better. He is only on the 4th word while I am on the 1st! Mollie likes to try this too with Evan in the van. It goes something like this. 'Mom, E-V-A-N must be T-I-R-E-D.' Evan usually replys, 'I do not need a nap!' She doesn't seem to get he can spell his own name, and understands 'tired'! Give it up people. If you want to tell me something in secret, write it down, fold it up, and slip it to me. Give me a sideways glance, so I know it is a secret. Of course, I am really good at facial expressions, so I will answer your note with a blink or a eyebrow raise. I just hope you can read MY message!
-Nina
Spelling also backfires because most kids are naturals with phonics. It's not that big a leap from G-U-M to gum, phonetically, as we learned when my little sister was 3. Heh!
Clever!
Brilliant.
That's funny. :) I am surprised though they didn't catch on to the words sustenance and poultry. ;-)
There's this story how when Nathan was little his grandmother used to refer to ice cream as "ICE CREAM" and one day he said, "OH! Yes, I wants some ICW too!" Since then it's a family joke to refer to ice cream as "ICW" around unsuspecting children.
Love it! Makes me think of a little brother who caught on to the spelling (even though he couldn't quite repeat it), wailing "I don't want to go to B-D-D."
Post a Comment