Thursday, June 25, 2009

What's In a Name, Pip?

One of the fun things about having a new baby is that you get to try out the new name over and over. Eventually it will settle into ordinary, handsome Phillip. But when he's still only twenty inches long, you can twist up the name in all kinds of cute ways:

* Flip
* Pip
* Phillipe
* Silly Philly (actually, that was only once. The older kids enjoyed it so much that I decided to retire it from circulation lest it stick.)
* PG (on his 13th birthday, he'll be PG-13)
* PJ ("PJ! I like that! Do you know I do? PJ! Hiss, put it on my luggage. PJ!")*

(Just before Phillip was born, Darren briefly suggested incorporating both the names we liked: Phillip Isaac Gabriel Jones. Until he realized that the initials would be PIG Jones.)

Deidre and Katie really want to call him Flippy Pip, but they have to whisper it slyly under the dark disapproval of the father.

Phillip's grandpa, also a Phillip, never mentioned what a very versatile name it is!

-- SJ

* And the quote is taken from....?

4 comments:

Kelly Sauer said...

We laughed when we saw the name you had chosen - both names were high on our list of boy's names, but two uses of Philip/Phillip among our good friends ruled that out for us. I would totally use it and call the kid "Flip," and I think the nickname could definitely carry further than babyhood.

Ahem - if you have other boy's name ideas, can you send them my way? We don't know what we're having yet, but we're hitting a roadblock here... :-P

Kelly Sauer said...

(The quote is from Disney's "Robin Hood," Prince John to Sir Hiss after Little John insisted on calling him "PJ." We actually chose the Joelle in Piper's name so we'd have the option of P.J. when she got a bit older, and Pete quotes this all the time... ;-)

Mississippi Rose said...

"The notorious *Robin Hood!*"

Alison said...

Ah, the initials will get you. Nathan really liked the name Phillip Michael. Then I pointed out the intials.....PMS. We just couldn't be that mean to a little boy. ;-P