It's something of a shock when a couple you perceive as happily married admits that they've been seeing a marital counselor.
Not to be shocking or anything, but Darren and I have been seeing a marital counselor.
We decided several weeks ago to set up an appointment with a Christian counselor (who came highly recommended by another family in the church). Well, we sort of talked about it, anyway. It was when our pastor (a veteran of marital counseling himself) advised us to do so that we actually called up the clinic. But we didn't mention it to many people. It's an awkward sort of conversation. First you have to assure your listener that you aren't having serious marital problems, and then you have to justify why you even want to see a counselor if you don't have any serious marital problems. Easier not to bring it up.
It's true that Darren and I have an easy relationship. Even the counselor said we were one of the best-matched couples she'd ever met. But just one session with a trained listener showed us why we'd encountered so many communication impasses recently. We both avoid conflict and hate confrontation. Instead of facing difficult topics head-on, I vent about peripheral issues and Darren simply withdraws. We also fell into habits during our early, immature married days that we persist in even now. We always knew some things were a little off-kilter. It was helpful to have someone explain ways to correct them.
It wasn't as if we realized that our marriage was frail and needed salvaging: it was that we wanted to prevent our marriage from ever needing salvaging.
Our counselor was the unrelated third party we needed to help us figure things out. She's a great fan of "tools," and gave us several communication helps that are, in a word, hokey. No, really: one of them is a set script where you actually have to use "dialogue" as a verb. She said we'd feel silly using the tools, but that we should get familiar with them anyway. If there's one thing Darren and I both are, it's good students. We went home and practiced, ahem, dialoguing.
Know what? It worked. We handled uncomfortable topics calmly and thoroughly. We got things decided on. It's amazingly conducive to peace when you know that your spouse has really heard what you've said -- not only the, "It bothers me when this happens," but also, "I so very much appreciate it when you do this."
We went only a few times: once a month, with babysitter fees, pushed the limit for a couple with young children. Just those few times were extremely helpful in understanding each other -- and ourselves. So our recommendation is that if you know of a good, trusted counselor, consider a few sessions to improve and maintain your marriage. You don't have to tell anybody you're going.
-- SJ and DJ
Tuesday, March 10, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I always knew ya'll were some of the wisest people I know. God bless you for your transparency and continue to build your marriage for your good and his glory.
Kevin and I did a similar thing but it was a conference rather than one-on-one counseling. Similar "tools" were demonstrated. :) I think couples always benefit from working on their marriage, whether it's a good relationship or a rapidly deteriorating one!
Yay! I think God wants so much more out of us than just "staying together." If we all worked on our marriages we would make the institution vibrant and desirable to a generation who is fast running the other way.
We did pre-marital counseling and it was so helpful to have a third party say, "I don't think she was saying that. What did you hear?" We picked up some background differences that would have caused eruptions down the road if we hadn't learned how to work through them. I'm all for counseling or anything that reminds us that investing in the most important human relationship we'll ever have is worth it.
Thanks for sharing!
"It wasn't as if we realized that our marriage was frail and needed salvaging: it was that we wanted to prevent our marriage from ever needing salvaging."
A great and wise mindset, to be sure. How much would be prevented if everyone had this mindset! Glad you guys are actively seeking to go deeper in your relationship. It's so helpful sometimes to have an objective third party give some insight into how we communicate with each other.
thanks for sharing; i really appreciate you guys.
Post a Comment