Some time back, a friend asked if we'd do a post on how to maintain a long-distance relationship. My and Darren's courtship and engagement was short (less than a year) but it was conducted over a span of 900 miles. We saw each other for a few days once a month, except one month right before we got married, when we didn't see each other at all. Not that it bothered me so much that I still remember it eight years later.
I put some thought into the topic, but in the end I couldn't come up with much advice except, "Be prepared to spend lots of money on plane tickets and phone bills." How *did* Darren and I develop a very good relationship so far apart?
Last night we cleaned out the bookshelf in Stuart's room in preparation for painting, and I found the binders of our emails and chats.
So, yeah, Janice, here's how we did it:

-- SJ
9 comments:
900 miles? Pshaw.
*sigh*
As one mere weeks away from ending a long-distance relationship with joyful proximity, I feel as though I should be so bold as to offer one more word of advice -
Free Verizon-to-Verizon calling plans.
You guys are an inspiration...
Now I feel sad. All of our stuff is lost on probably inaccessible files on no-longer functioning cds. Grrrrr. We should have printed it while we could. I wonder just how big the pile would be.
But yes, free minutes is a big help. Unless one of you lives where cell phone service doesn't reach yet--which should be less of a problem now than it was six years ago.
Gabe -- Yeah, we didn't really do the free minutes thing. We're late adapters and cell phones weren't as universal nine years ago. We were being pretty high-tech using email and chat, after all.
Y'all have the distance thing over us. But the farther away you are now, the better it is when you're finally together!
QoC -- Sad about your files... although you probably wouldn't read them much. We actually wonder why we store that huge stack (our kids certainly won't want to read them), but know we'd regret it if we got rid of it.
-- SJ
LOL - wonderful!
Don't be too sure about "never wanting to read them," Sara. Now, certainly. Years to come, though, are a different matter. Don't consign them to the incinerator upon your deaths. ;)
Gabe is absolutely correct. The one drawback to a phone is no stack of paper such as you have now.
How super sweet!
I forgot how short a span it was for ya'll! It seems like you have always been "Darren and Sara."
Thanks for posting this.
Don't forget those biographers who were going to need all our letters. I'm sure they'll get a good couple chapters out of that stack.
We did two years with 3000 miles between us, and we only got to see each other for a few days once every three or four months. We survived on IM chats, daily phone conversations and good old-fashioned letter writing. We didn't save the IM chats, but we saved every single one of those letters. :)
Post a Comment