Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Mundania 13

* I am completely out of ideas for blogging, which can't mean anything but a Mundania post.

* An appropriately-numbered Mundania post, considering tomorrow.

* It's a busy week for us low-key Joneses. We have something on every evening. (That's the way Darren phrases it, and my first response is always, "I'll probably have on clothes, although that's not a guarantee for some of the kids in the house.") We usually avoid having something planned for every night. That's what purgatory would be for us: "Welcome to the World In-Between! Let's see... oh, yes, both of you are assigned to the Type A room. They're repainting it right now, so just join right in. Afterward you're all going for a hike, after which you'll plan a seven-course formal dinner, while attending a soccer game, before returning to the room. At which point you'll be repainting it, of course."

* Speaking of painting a room, by the end of this week we should have two brand-new, freshly-painted rooms to use. And the best part is, we haven't had to do a single thing. We hired a friend to convert our garage into a playroom, a guest room, and a small storage room. Well, okay, we paid him for it, but we're always happier to pay for the work rather than do it ourselves.

* For zoning purposes, the guest room is actually a "storage room." Which it is -- they'll be mounting several shelves on the wall. Daniel, the builder, suggested that if we make the shelves just a little bigger, we could store guests on them.

* One of the Big Events of this week is Trick-or-Treating. This year, Stuart is a Pharoah, compliments of an easy no-sew guide from Family Fun magazine. Addie is an angel, sporting a large set of wings constructed from coat hangers and a white scarf. I love the idea of making costumes, but my zeal usually outstrips my ability. This year is a success, though.

* The other Big Event of the week is our Sixth Annual All Saints' Day Party. It's funny to remember that at our first one -- which was Darren's idea, sorry to spring THAT surprise on you -- I was very pregnant with Stuart. How time marches on!

* Probably I should feed my kids breakfast.

-- SJ

3 comments:

Barbara said...

I am currently stuck in Type A purgatory. :( It seems to get worse with each passing week. I keep telling myself that things will slow down eventually. It doesn't help my short term stress levels, though.

I wish I could see your converted garage. I bet the kids love having a playroom.

Anonymous said...

Type A purgatory--I am always so shocked and amazed at how similar we thinking (somehow I expected to find that time had changed that.) Just reading your first paragraph made me nauseous. I still have shivers down my spine. Ew!

I let my kids design their costumes completely--which means that the only one I actually had to put any time or money into is Rachel's (who always has very elaborate plans that include me going out and buying.) Both girls are fairies (Rachel is specific fairy from her favorite book) and Esther is a random fairy princess in completely mismatched clothing--of her choice. Issac is a cowboy, dressed in his idea of cowboy clothing--cowboy boots three sizes too large which I found at the thrift shop for dress-up, jeans (cowboy pants he calls them), a white t-shirt and two vest's I cut from ladies vests, complete with fringe, and n old man hat which he calls his cowboy hat. Oh, and I finally figured out how to REALLY do wings that my girls appreciate more than me buying them--cover the coat hangers each in one leg of the stockings, ape the tops of the hangers together then wrap the rest of the leg around the tape and knot. Use the remains to make two loops for arms to hold the wings on. The girls then used glitter glue to decorate. Easy AND cheap plus they were designed to their specifications.

Sarah M. said...

We were sorry to miss the All Saint's Party, but look forward to hearing all about it. Also, do you have pictures of the costumes that A & S wore? Did D dress up in anything, or did she go as a cute adorable baby?