("Haiku by Stu" sounds better, but we've never called him Stu and I don't want to encourage the world to do so)
Stuart has grasped the concept of syllables, even if he does usually call them "symbols." Being the Good Homeschool Mama, I explained how to construct a haiku, and we sat down and wrote these together. Stuart would rattle off a suggestion, we'd count the syllables. He unfortunately was more impressed the more syllables he came up with, but he'd help me reword it so he liked it. Sometimes he got it right all by himself. It was probably accident, but I pretend to think otherwise.
In order to fully grasp the deep and subtle meanings of the first two poems, you've got to be familiar with the computer game "Bookworm Adventure." The last one refers to a community fun day in town.
Haiku #1: Circe
Circe was not nice.
Lex killed Circe with a WHOMPED!
She fell down on dirt.
Haiku #2: Lex
Lex is a good guy.
He spells to defeat bad guys.
He WHOMPS and CRUSHES.
Haiku #3: Friends
Stuart has some friends.
One friend is Prometheus.
He stomps a lot, too. [Stuart added the "too" to make up the fifth syllable.]
Haiku #4: Fun
Fun at Doo-Dah Day
We got to meet Spider-man!
Our cheeks got painted.
-- SJ and SMJ
Sunday, April 29, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
now that was fun to read :-)
Wonders idly if our Weebix will be so intellectually cute as the Jones children...
Haiku genius runs in the family. I'm very impressed with Stuart and his poetry is publishable!-rlr
Brooks just found out about Organize, and his surrealist-poetic mind is highly impressed at Stuart's ability to hit upon a word with so much sound-resonance and so little ideological baggage. He also suggested publishing the poems. :-)
Yeah, Brooks, that's EXACTLY what I thought, too. We'd, um, just finished a homeschool unit on, um, sound-resonance. (*Oookay, how do I get this conversation back onto solid ground?*) So, Brooks, speaking of a sound-resonance... what do you think of the name "Amity"?
-- SJ
Post a Comment