Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Mundania 30

I opened a "new post" window and went away. Here I am back, and the Blog Fairy hasn't even *tried* to write anything. Guess I'll have to bail her out again.

Katie's visiting this week.

I left the computer for a while again, and when I came back, this is still all there was. My guess is that the Blog Fairy spent most of that time on Facebook talking about the earthquake.

Let's give this another shot.

* Katie's visiting this week. She's been up here four or five times, but this trip is special because this year she's seventeen. Why is that special? Because I was seventeen when she was born, so this year is a milestone for us. And it's a reward for being a young aunt that my kids now have an older cousin to entertain them.

* And boy are they entertained. I leave the kids with Katie so I can nap or run over town (a luxury I'm thoroughly enjoying). When I come back, I never know what I'll find. Bread baking? Check. Fun games in progress? Check. Dish soap on the trampoline? Check. Harry Potter movie and popcorn ten minutes before lunch? Check. Corn starch and cherry drink powder, mixed with water and smeared on various body parts to look like bloody wounds? Check. My predictable and stable routine has gotten shaken up like, well, like an earthquake. It's a good way to end summer.

* Summer is ending. I'm mourning it because autumn means that February is that much closer.

* Darren and I skipped our regular trip to the gym last night so we could look up curriculum options. I'm teaching first, fourth, and fifth grades this year. It's the first year that I've really felt anxious about whether my kids will get everything they need. We're trying out some video and online classes, which I hope will give A&S a break from Hearing My Voice All The Time, and spare me some preparation time.

* I prefer sitting close to Darren with a netbook between us, discussing schooling ideas, than exercising at the gym. Just to tell you, as Daphne would say.

* Katie presented us with the chance to go out overnight. I was fighting a cold, but heck, I can be sick anytime. Not like I can go out overnight with Darren anytime. We went anyway. We had a great time -- our favorite pastime is being together, which makes it easy to plan dates. Meanwhile, Katie hosted what turned into an epic slumber party for five kids (Mollie stayed over). Pip didn't go to sleep till 10, Daphne till 1, and the rest of them till 3. It was THE BEST TIME EVERRRR!, from all reports. Hey, I didn't have to stay up with a bunch of jazzed kids, so I was good.

* Since Katie is vegetarian, I had to plan my meals to include her. I was pleased to find out that we could convert to mostly vegetarian without a lot of effort. Mostly. We're having beef stew tonight.

* Oh, and there really was an earthquake. Katie and I were in the kitchen just before 2:00 when both of us noticed the house was shaking. When I felt the floor shake in a different direction from the counter, my heart rate went up. We stared at each other for fully fifteen seconds, waiting for it to subside. Katie asked, "Was that an earthquake?" I said, "I don't know, but give me about seven minutes, and I'll check Facebook." Darren had posted about it within two minutes. The next hour was a hot one on Facebook.

Katie was thrilled and hoped for some aftershocks. I had six kids in the house and thought there had been plenty enough excitement. The quake registered 5.8 at the epicenter, which was about 85 miles south of here. Here are some pictures of the aftermath.

* As for other pictures, I'll have to steal some from Katie.

-- SJ

3 comments:

mary said...

The pictures of earthquake damage are amusing because the damage seems to have been minimal; wonder which numeral behind the decimal in the Richter Scale would have been the point where the pictures would have been not amusing at all.

Looking forward to the weekend, despite earthquakes and an impending (for your area) hurricane.

Anonymous said...

I wanted to thank you for having the kids over for the day. I think they have had the best last day of summer break ever!! Taking pictures of fake blood? Totally cool! Watching Harry Potter and eating popcorn? Great! Feeling an earthquake while with your friends? Awesome (and even a bit interesting)!! By the way, Mollie thanks Katie, Addie, and Stuart for readiing and watching Harry Potter. Now she has someone to share all her excitment with!

School is starting. February is closer, but the end of the 2011-2012 school year is one day closer too!
-Nina

Anonymous said...

I hope that when Katie comes up again, we get another ESP(Epic Slumber Party)!

--AMJ