Friday, January 22, 2010

Customized Praise Songs

Trying to choose music for Sunday's service, Darren wasn't feeling very inspired. The Old Testament passage, for instance, was all about Ezra and Nehemiah gathering the people for a public reading of the Law. And there just aren't many praise songs talking about the joy inherent in hearing the Law read aloud.

It does have the interesting tidbit in it that the people wept and mourned when they heard God's Law and how they'd transgressed; and Ezra told the people that it was a holy day and they shouldn't mourn. Go feast! Go celebrate! Don't mourn! One of God's best counterintuitive moments.

In an attempt to be a good helpmeet, but mostly because I drank coffee yesterday, I emailed the following suggestions to Darren:

I know you're having trouble coming up with a relevant song set. Why not customize our songs?

"Blessed Be Your Law"
(to the tune of Blessed Be Your Name chorus begins at :44)

Chorus:
"Every verse that you read out I'll
Say back by phrase!
I know that it's really Your word
when it's in King James

Blessed be the words of Your law
Blessed be the words..."

***
"Shout to the Crowd"
(to the tune of Shout to the Lord chorus starts 1:06)

Chorus:
Shout to the crowd
Really loud so they'll hear
The words of the law
So the Lord they will fear!
Those in the back
Can't quite hear what you say
So if you could raise your voi-oice?

We're pretty shattered to hear all these words
But we'll have a feast like you said God prefers!
Nothing compares to a brand-new holiday!

-- SJ

Note: I should mention that I like both of these songs. Blessed Be Your Name, in particular, acknowledges the fact that sometimes we have to worship God during dark times. Which still isn't as hard as Gaad worship, so be grateful.

7 comments:

Kelly Sauer said...

Sara you can be blindingly brilliant sometimes... ;-)

Amy Jordon said...

I don't think I can sing these songs again without thinking of you. (:

mary said...

You make me laugh.

Kristen R. said...

I love it. My favorite line: "And there just aren't many praise songs talking about the joy inherent in hearing the Law read aloud."

Rachelle said...

You may have missed your calling. I think Chris Tomlin needs you on his team. :)

D said...

Good ones! Is it exhausting being so clever? I guess not if you have plenty of coffee.

Kathleen@so much to say, so little time said...

hee hee!