For the past two weeks, I've been wrapped up in setting up an entirely new budgeting system for the household. This is not a plea for sympathy: I've enjoyed it thoroughly. It's one of those things that I call "inconsistent with my character sketch": if I were a fictional character -- anti-list, anti-schedules, numerophobic -- no reader would believe I'd enjoy dealing with a detailed system of numbers.
But I do. After all, I don't have to do any actual calculating myself (that's why computers were INVENTED). Meanwhile, I like knowing exactly what's available in which category. We did start out that way, but somewhere around kid two or three, I got lazy and content with a very Victorian arrangement in our marriage: I'd just ask Darren if we had enough for whatever I wanted. Or I'd inform him of what I bought and let him do the transfers necessary to cover the expenses. Very neat and patriarchal of us, but not very sound financial practice.
Because I've been so preoccupied with the budget -- as in, racking my brain for other topics to talk about just to relieve Darren's monotony -- I've been musing over the following unrelated money-type thoughts recently:
1. A friend was advising me on how to cut down on the grocery bill, and a large part of her advice was "shop at Wal-Mart." I replied that I don't shop at Wal-Mart. She agreed that the one in town is a death-trap, but the newer one outside of town was less crowded. "No," I said, "I don't shop at Wal-Mart at all. Period. On principle." The trouble is, it's a very vague principle, made up of equal parts of dislike (Wal-Mart has pushed out every other competing business in my hometown, leaving residents with no other shopping choice); discomfort (I don't like relying on China to make my life better... but I shop at Target, and it's not like they're all stars and stripes themselves); and stubbornness (if everyone else shops at Wal-Mart, then I sure as heck won't). It's annoying that a vague principle can cost extra money.
2. However, after two or three years of eschewing Wal-Mart, I'm glad to say that my horizon has broadened. When I think, "I need to buy a box of small nails and a hairbrush," I then think, "So which stores do I need to go to?" I shop a much larger variety of stores now that I can't get everything in one (crowded, headachey, greed-breeding) place.
3. Budget cuts aren't as easy as the articles make it appear. It's easy to say, "Cut out that Starbucks coffee!", but then you're left with the reality that you don't get that yummy coffee you're so attached to. (Not that I patronize Starbucks, of course.) Especially when the yummy coffee is already a once-a-month treat. Especially when you really don't want to see your beloved local chain go under from lack of business.
4. Also, it's easy to advise, "Drop unnecessary magazine subscriptions." That's fine and good for BH&G, which is a huge corporation and probably could manufacture its own customers to buy its magazine if it had to. But the little magazines that depend on our support to survive... it's as much a favor as a pleasure to subscribe.
5. Same goes for the farm that we bought shares in. It's expensive, not to mention risky if the growing season turns out to be a disaster. Much cheaper to get produce at the grocery store (or WAL-MART). But we want to support the farm.
6. Living "green" and "organically" is not budget-friendly.
7. So much for a "budget post." This thing's long. Darren's the one who practices economy of words, not me.
-- SJ
Tuesday, March 24, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
I'm with you on WalMart. And I always feel so liberal. Part of my trouble is that I hate "cheap" goods. Everyone I know who shops at Walmart ends up picking up cheap things they don't really need that will fall apart in a few months anyway. (But I don't avoid Walmart because they aren't unionized and hire part-time employees and don't provide huge expensive benefit packages to people who are underskilled, past their prime or unable to work in 95% of the jobs out there. Which is what the liberal "I don't shop at Walmart" bumper sticker people are about.)
We live a partial organic existence and a very very partial "green" existence. The one thing I have noticed is how much cheaper organic/green products are getting. A matter of economics. YAY.
And yay for buying farm shares and supporting small farmers and getting better produce.
Did you buy a share in Great Country Farm (in Bluemont)?? Oooooohhh - the fond memories we have of that place! The best is picking blackberries; me, the philosopher and our biologist colleague. We discovered the philosopher actually could NOT talk about philosophy and pick blackberries at the same time. HEH.
I also don't buy at Wal-Mart, for many of the same reasons as you and Rachelle. I live in a town that successfully told Wal-Mart to shove it, too. ;-) I don't think buying cheap crap made in China that you have to buy four times is a real savings. I also thought their produce and meat were abysmal (when we had a Wal-Mart nearby in OK). There is a political reason for religious conservatives to avoid them, as they support (or at least did a year or so ago) a h0m0s*xual activist group.
I can't believe anyone shops there, as they manage to annoy both sides of the political spectrum, religious people and non-religious, they have poor quality products, tend not to stock American made and every one I have been in is dirty, ill-organized and staffed with surly or uninterested employees.
Anyway, here is a post about the so-called savings at Wal-Mart that I thought of when I read this.
Oh, and I think the reason green/organic items are getting cheaper has more to do with the fact that they have been priced closer to their actual cost all this time. Now that everything is rising, their prices aren't rising as rapidly and astronomically. Part of it, too, is that agri-business and industry has gotten in on the green/organic name and muddied the waters on what is really organic, so lots of their products are semi-organic/green, but still affordable.
Re: Wal-Mart. See, Darren? It's not just me!
Zana - No, GCF is just a stretch too far out of reach to be workable for us. The farm we support is a small family-run one nearby. Besides, we're not really into picking our own stuff. If someone else picks it and puts it in a box for us to come get, we'll pay for that. :)
-- SJ
Kate has a hilarious philosophy on WalMart:
"One store to rule them all
One store to find them
One store to bring them all
and in the darkness bind them..."
Thought you guys would appreciate that...
And that whole patriarchal budgeting system thing? That's what I'm doing now. Works beautifully. I don't have to feel quite so horrible about how much we're paying for my pills because I just don't know how much...
Amen to number six. And I have seen A LOT of focus on coupons in the last few months. I don't think coupons for more processed and pre-made food, even if we get it for pennies, is very good for you. But that is my little rant.
Good luck not shopping at Wal-mart forever. They are on their way to taking over the world... (:
Post a Comment