Monday, October 20, 2008

Irony Rocks

The more liberated we become, the more wacky measures we have to take to protect ourselves... from ourselves. Touchstone mentions a new feature that tries to minimize the unfortunate side effects of getting stinking drunk over the weekend. Considering that I'm likely to bomb five math problems even when sober, well-rested, and eating a balanced diet, my policy will be to avoid getting drunk.

Also, parents of preschoolers in New Jersey have been up in arms over a mandatory flu shot. I like the part where one of the organizers says, "This one-size-fits-all approach is really very anti-American." Um, do you know why the public school system was created? Hint: it wasn't to foster individuality and nonconformity. One-size-fits-all is actually a revered American approach.

-- SJ

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very true. I read a comment recently about homeschooling that said, "I want to who came up with the idea that the best way to socialize and educate a thirteen year old is to stick them in a small building with 2,000 other thirteen year olds." I thought it was very funny and true. America definitely DOES promote the one-size-fits-all idea.