Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Superpowers

I was going to title this "everyday superpowers" but it sounded too much like a five-minute devotional.

Darren and I occasionally discuss what powers we'd possess if we were superheroes. For instance, Darren would be Punctuality Man, who arrives anywhere -- the scene of a terrorist plot, a train accident, Sunday morning church service -- fifteen minutes early. I would be The Apostrophe Avenger, sweeping through the land freeing apostrophes from forced labor in words where they don't belong.

When I saw The Incredibles, I realized that every woman in the world needs to be Elastigirl. Especially women with small children. And pregnancy would be such a... um, snap.

The other night I discovered a new superpower. I needed to go dry my hair and get ready for bed, but what I really preferred to do was cuddle on the bed with Darren. Finally I compelled myself to the hair dryer. "New superpower," I announced. "Not found in teenagers: Superadult. I can make myself be responsible when I don't want to be."

Whee. Give me the Force anyday. -- SJ

5 comments:

the Joneses said...

Go'od p'ost, lov'e! :) --DJ

Sarah M. said...

Wouldn't Darren be "Early Man" or "Always Early Man" rather than punctuality man if he always arrived 15 minutes early? Isn't punctuality walking in the door just in time - right on the dot?

the Joneses said...

Thanks, sweetheart. You can get ready fifteen minutes early for your comfy night on the couch. -- SJ

the Joneses said...

Oh, Sarah, didn't you ever go to Knoxville or Excel? "Punctuality" meant getting to the sessions five minutes early. Darren makes better time than that even without superpowers! -- SJ

Queen of Carrots said...

I'm cheering for the Apostrophe Avenger. Maybe we should team up, since my superpower alter-ego has long been the Grammar Commando, who takes on a wide range of errors, from misused homonyms ("it peaked my interest"--arrggghh!) to the abandonment of capital letters (whether of divine origin or not). Apostrophes were taking up most of time, though, so if you take them on I can concentrate on other areas.