Saturday, January 15, 2005

What's in a Name? III

Stuart recently has discovered a set of toy horses from my childhood (some of the horses were orignially unicorns, until their horns broke and they had to undergo hornestomies.). My sister and I grew up playing with these horses, and it's with great delight that I teach their names to my children.

I was recounting their names to Darren with great fondness. But he seemed to think the names were a bit of a feminine overkill:

Whisper
Silver
Smokey
Misty
Twinkle
Sunshine

Furthermore, it insulted his maleness that Whisper, my first horse, was regarded as the Grandfather Horse of the clan. "Grand*father*!?" Darren exclaimed. Obviously he doesn't know the first thing about the naming culture of unicorns.

Stuart, however, has it all well in hand. He knows all the horses' names, and his very favorite horse is "Granpa Whiper Horse." Ah, my son, my heart. -- SJ