About ten years ago, when Dana Robinson and I thought we were the cleverest minds since Jane Austen, we made quite a hobby of spoonerisms. My sister Rosemary and I amused ourselves extensively in this fashion as well. As I recall, some of the favorite phrases to tangle and bungle included:
* mushrooms = rushmooms
* dwell on that thought = think on those dwellings
* Dr. Pepper = Popper Dector
* root beer = ha, ha
* "I'm late and it's tired."
Rosemary even made a memorable drawing illustrating the caution:
"Next time you shake a tower, don't get Pam's shoe in your eye."
Now your life is improved. Go live your improvements.
-- SJ
Friday, January 28, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I was reading this quietly to myself (i.e. not out loud) and my mind was lagging a bit behind my eyes as I thought 'But Ha, ha isn't a spoonerism for...' and then my mind spelled it out for me.
Ha, ha indeed. I love your helpful commentary and your knack for leaving the right words unsaid. =) Makes the reader feel clever for figuring it out on one's own.
~Rose
DOB does that ALL THE TIME, whether or not it makes real words. Probably from horse of fabit. I'm not sure our children are ever going to learn how to speak English.
My tendency is a little different--I tend to merge two synonyms into another unrelated word. One time I drove past a rather portly lady puttering around in front of her house. "Look," I said, "That lady is working in her yawn--no, no I mean in her lard!"
Let me clarify that the comment was quite innocent, and I did not realize what I was saying until I had said it.
When I was in college, we performed a full-length spoof under the title, "Rindecella and her Three Sisty Uglers." We thought we were very funny.
Oh, but circa ten years ago Dana Robinson *was* one of the cleverest minds since Jane Austen. ;) Ask her sometime about her 1996 DTC hit single, "Keep on the Serving Line" (a spoof on the hymn "Keep on the Firing Line). She had us mystified for weeks as to who wrote the words to that goofy, hilarious song. :) (Love & miss you, Dana!)
--Angel
Post a Comment