It’s Friday, so I’m going to do a short blog post in the “7 Quick Takes” round-up. I guess it has more politics than normal for this blog, so you’re welcome to just skip it if you're not interested.
1. I found this article by George Will to be quite thought-provoking. I remember back when George W. Bush was pushing for a war with Iraq, after the invasion of Afghanistan. At the time, I thought it was a great idea, and I couldn't figure out why a lot of the older staff in the office opposed the idea. Apparently merely reading about Vietnam as history didn't give me the knowledge that their living through it did. and after reading the article, I have to say I agree with Will. What exactly is our goal in Afghanistan? And is it worth it?
2. One of the funniest videos I have seen online in a long time is this version of the "revised" Apostles Creed. Maybe I can get Father Tim to use this one at Phillip's baptism in a couple of weeks :-)
3. One of my responsibilities at work is assisting homeschoolers in getting benefits from the Social Security Administration. I am constantly amazed at the low level of service that SSA recipients receive. I have run into a few helpful SSA people, but the vast majority cannot understand the Administration's own policy even when it is explained to them, never answer telephone calls, and generally have the attitude that they are suspicious righteous gatekeepers trying to keep out the fraudulent hordes, not public servants trying to assist those in need. It does not give me great confidence in allowing the government to run the nation’s health insurance system.
4. I have been playing with a very fun new toy recently. It's called Planning Center Online, and I have found it very helpful. (Thanks Joel for showing it to me!) It incorporates in one program what I have been trying to use three programs (e-mail, Excel, and Access) to do. Besides which, it just looks cool :-) The worship leaders in our denomination in this local area are also starting to send around the songs that we are choosing to use every week. I really like finding out what other churches are doing to illustrate the same scripture readings that we are using.
5. Our church has been having prayer meetings on Thursday nights for the last year or so. Usually the other Deacon leads it, but he and his wife are on their 40th wedding anniversary Mediterranean cruise, so I got to lead it last night. Deacon Dave spends most of the time in spontaneous congregational prayer based on a Psalm, and we sing choruses from the 1970s or early 1980s. Last night, we used Evening Prayer from the Book of Common Prayer (Rite II, although I like Rite I better - why yes, I am a liturgical nerd. Why do you ask?). We sang hymns throughout, rather than choruses. As I told the people when we started, Deacon Dave and I are quite different in the way we do things :-) It went very well; one of the participants described as "uplifting." I hope so.
6. I wasn't one of those who went berserk over the idea of President Obama addressing America's schoolchildren at the beginning of school. However, teaching kids to sing songs in his praise, including the lyrics "red, yellow, black or white/All are equal in his sight" is going little too far in my opinion. Not that I'm blaming him for this; it obviously wasn't his idea. But doesn't that just seem a little weird to you? I certainly don't remember being taught songs in honor of President Reagan when I was in elementary school, even though the teachers were, I think, pretty much straight Republican. And to say, as the superintendent did, that “the recording and distribution of the songs was not authorized by the district” kind of misses the point, I think.
7. Matt Maher has a new album out called "Alive Again." I can't wait to get a copy of that. I really enjoy his music.
And that's it. Have a great weekend, everybody.
--DJ
Friday, September 25, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
The "revised" Apostles' Creed is really hilarious. The Obama song bothered me, too. I don't know which irks me more (specifically) - praising all our president's "great accomplishments" (???) or using the fun word "economy" in a children's song. The whole thing is just all-around eerie.
Oh, no, is that Obama song real? I didn't listen to it, but saw a few links to the video and was sure it was a parody of some sort. I know you Snoped it; you always do. But is it really for real?
This on top of the flag@whitehouse thing... come on, people, read your scifi and admit it's a bit much!
-- SJ
My views of the various wars/actions/occupancies involved in the war on terror have changed a lot too over the past 8 years. I wouldn't say they've liberalized, although I no longer support what we're doing in most sectors; it's more that I no longer believe our philanthropic goal of spreading democracy to other nations is sustainable, realistic, appreciated, or even desirable in many cases. We've managed a completely unique blend of self-interest with philanthropy and giving, and in the process have failed to really make a difference OR protect our interests.
My husband LOVES Planning Center. We use it at our church for our worship services.
I will readily admit I sped read the political stuff, but Matt Maher caught my attention :) Love him! But love YOU more!
Ditto to you and JMaestro on the Afghan war. And amen on the Obama song! We used to teach our schoolchildren to pledge allegiance to the flag and sing patriotic songs about their country. Ben's brief foray into public school had a child (or children) reading the pledge over the loudspeaker one day a week with generally no patriotic response. And if it weren't for sports, no one would know our national anthem. When I saw that song to Obama, I was reminded of all the songs 1930s-40s children sang to their Fuhrer. Scary!
You can delete this comment... could you call me tonight? Thanks!
Post a Comment