Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Lover of Horses

Help me out here.

For each member of the family, I've framed a name plaque to hang on our wall: name, meaning, amplified meaning, Scripture verse. As in:

Daphne
"Laurel"
As champions won laurels for their victories,
so God will reward you as you serve Him faithfully.
1 Cor. 9:24-25

It's time to include Phillip's name. But I've put it off because of the name meaning. How the heck can you spiritualize "Lover of Horses"?

Any ideas and Scripture references are welcome.

-- SJ

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Phillip
"Lover of Horses"
As people glorify God when they look at horses, so may they glorify Him when they look at your life
Job 39:19-25

Ha, ha! Have fun!

Leah =)

lis said...

How about John 1:43 "...Jesus... found Philip and said to him, "Follow me.'"

By the way, I wanted to say congratulations to little Philip -- he couldn't be named after a nicer person! :O)

Kelly Langner Sauer said...

Aren't you lucky... The ONE name book I have happens to be a Christian sort of name book that gives the language/cultural origin, the inherent meaning, the spiritual connotation, and a Scripture verse for each name.

Here is the entry for Phillip:

Language/Cultural Origin: Greek
Inherent Meaning: Lover of Horses
Spiritual Connotation: Transformed
Scripture: 2 Corinthians 3:18

But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory.

Darren said...

How in the WORLD does that book get from "Lover of Horses" to "Transformed"??

Mississippi Rose said...

Darren, I was wondering the same thing. Seems like some of those books with spiritual meanings used a method like "pick a meaning out of the hat." Hmm. What have we here? Donald? Okay, and the meaning is . . . .(unfolding paper) victorious warrior! (Sara and I used to complain that most boy names ended up with some form of that meaning)

Anonymous said...

Since horses are known for their tireless running:

Phillip
"Lover of Horses"
May you joyfully run the race God has set before you.

"Let Us Run With Perseverance The Race That Is Set Before Us..."
(Hebrews 11 and 12:1,2)


Catherine in Atlanta

Angel said...

Hm, how about that verse in Proverbs that says something like "The righteous man regards the life of his animal"; i.e., a righteous man is kind to everyone, even his pets/livestock?

Or you could spin "lover of horses" as a medieval page/groom role and use the verse in Psalms about prefering to be a doorkeeper in the house of God than dwell in tents of wickedness.

I'm probably being too literal. ;)

the Joneses said...

I like many of these suggestions. Thanks! I got lots over on Facebook also. I'll let you know what I end up with.

-- SJ