- Something from the Nightside, Simon Green
- Agents of Light and Darkness, Simon Green
The Nightside books are everything I hate. Private eye, horror, gritty and dark, violent. I'm completely at a loss as to why I enjoy them so much. It isn't even that Green is a top-notch writer, merely an entertaining one. Maybe it's because the books are a mix of reality, fantasy, and sci-fi, and there are some very funny lines. Maybe it's because the bad guys are really, really bad and the good guy resists sinking to their level. Maybe I enjoy the fact that the author allows real supernatural power to exist, whether good or bad. The second book features angels and demons as strong, terrifying, single-minded messengers who show no mercy. These are beings you want to steer clear of. (They're also a bit limited in their thinking, since all they do is carry out orders, which is pretty funny.)
- Water for Elephants, Sara Gruen
I got this book from my book swap partner. (I sent her The Oxford Book of Humourous Prose, which isn't nearly as terrible as it sounds.) Gruen is a writer of enormous skill. I enjoyed her writing as much as I did the story itself, about a Depression-era circus. One example of how understated she is, but still manages to tell her story, is the part where Marlena gets hurt and is taken to Barbara's tent. Barbara is the strip-tease dancer and prostitute. The ringmaster asks where Marlena is, and Jacob (the protagonist) says, "She's in Barbara's tent." The ringmaster says, "Who?" and Jacob says, "The cooch girl." The ringmaster turns and says, "She's in the cooch girl's tent. Go get somebody to help." It's enlightening that Jacob knows Barbara's name and the ringmaster doesn't. The whole book is written in the same restrained, illuminating style.
Fine print: There are some "R-rated" scenes -- rather trashy scenes -- but they fit the context of the story. For the record I do object on principle to the choices of some of the characters. But I loved this book.
- The Shack, William P. Young
A controversial book about God that people find inspirational and healing. I saw sweetness and goo all over the place and ignored this book. My mother-in-law not only read it, but agreed to do a discussion of it at her church, and asked us to read it. So I picked it up. I was engaged by the first chapter, cried during the middle (not because of touching scenes, but because I so identified with the main character's anger and inability to trust that God is good), and finished it with the feeling that it's a healing book to read. Not perfect and occasionally a trifle precious, but overall a good read. I think it appeals to a certain type of person, especially those who have wounds that haven't healed over very well. Plus it's not a traditional novel. It's more a framework for discussions of God and who He is. As for the Big-C Controversial part of it, it made sense within the story and I had no trouble with it.
- Twilight, Stephanie Meyer
This has hit the Bestseller list, has been made into an upcoming movie, and is the type of book I like. Well, I'm not fond of vampire stories in general, but this one is Young Adult and very clean. And what could be cooler than a story about a girl who falls in love with a vampire? Huh. LOTS could be cooler than this book. I didn't like it. The author thinks her vampire is about twenty-five times more fascinating than I do, the protagonist is angsty and unfriendly, and the entire point of the book was... falling in love? Eternally? At seventeen? Pardon me for being underwhelmed. I've been assured by at least two Twlight fans that I'll like the second book better. The author split a story in half and stuffed it with cotton candy to make it longer. Still, I'm not rushing out to throw myself on the waiting list at the library.
In the interest of equal time, Darren liked the book. Whatever.
- The Blue Sword, Robin McKinley
Darren told me over and over how much he likes this book (the sequel won a Newberry). I finally decided to try it, even though McKinley and I have a rocky relationship. Her word choices or phrasing often irritate me, although when I go back and read it carefully, I realize she's saying exactly what she wants to. This book started off dry, but I stuck with it. I'm glad I did. It's not a rollicking tale; it's very dense narrative, rather detached in tone. But it's a very engaging story. Plus, McKinley being a poet, the descriptions -- even of the desert -- are beautifully done. And the story itself has whiffs of the classic potboiler Upright English Lady Carried Off By Sensual Desert Sheik, which makes it appealing on other levels. :)
That's the lineup.-- SJ
8 comments:
I liked McKinley quite a lot when I read her in high school, although I can't remember if I like the Blue Sword or the Hero and the Crown better. Maybe that should be my Christmas break reading!
I love your book reviews. Thank you! I'm on the waiting list for Twilight at our library but I think I'm number forty or something on the list. I don't mind waiting because I've heard a few reviews like yours, amongst the raves.
Wow, you just added a bunch of books to my reading list!
Aunt Sara!Are you bashing my new favorite book?!? =)
I just read the Twilight series...and I loved it. I thought it was one of the best book series I've read in a few years. But, to each her own, I guess. I thought it was going to be terrible. I would laugh at a ghost or zombie, but I am terrified of vampires. And when you throw vampires and true love in the same sentence, I gag. But I was pleasantly surprised by this book and thoroughly enjoyed it. I hate that you didn't. You might want to give the others a shot, but if you didn't enjoy the romance in the first one you'll probably hate the rest. The sappy-sweet romance only intensifies. =)
Kate -- I'm just too old for the books. The 17-year-old guy who mows our lawn was in her yesterday raving about Twilight and how much he loved it. Obviously I'm not the target audience.
As I reas reading, I kept thinking, "Edward has been 17 for a hundred years, but he STILL THINKS AND ACTS LIKE A 17-year-old? Moody and angsty and the only music he has any opinion on is 60s, 70s, and 80s pop? This means that when Bella grows up (assuming she ever gets past herself), will he STILL be 17?" Like I said, I'm too old for them.
We'll agree on Harry Potter and leave Twilight for you to discuss with others. :)
-- SJ
Simon Green is an interesting one, to be sure. It's hard to decide whether the horribly graphic nature of his writing is simply there for shock or has a legitimate place as setting. Either way it certainly highlights man's depravity.
I think I will go look up Twilight now, though. Dracula was slightly too dry and undirected to my mind, but vampire tales in general interest me, particularly clean ones.
"It's hard to decide whether the horribly graphic nature of his writing is simply there for shock or has a legitimate place as setting."
It's there to sell the books, that's why. Green doesn't pretend he's writing anything very profound. And it is an indulgence to read such horrible things but be able to keep a moral high ground because you and the protagonist don't approve.
-- SJ
Yay! I love your book reviews!
Post a Comment