Carrie Newcomer.
It's mellow folksy music. I found her at random in the folk section of Borders. She's Quaker, it turns out; maybe that's why her songs have an upswing of hope that many others don't. Or maybe that's why she writes about something other than lost love, a subject that doesn't wear nearly as well as some singers think it does.
-- SJ
Thursday, October 23, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
You know, historically, songs have been about all sorts of things: love, travel, every day life, battle and wars, adventures, singing tales, past exploits, religion, drinking, songs for dancing, etc. Now, it seems like they all fall into two categories: "I loved and lost and now my life is over," and "Let's dance and do X-rated things in public, baby."
So some cheerful Quaker music sounds pretty good! I'll have to check it out. After, of course, I put up the "Do Not Disturb" sign outside my geezer cave, chase them dang kids off my lawn, and tell those gol-danged birds to keep it down during my afternoon nap.
So, now the story behind the new cd. I really didn't think it was that bad. Can't say I'm rushing out to get a copy, but I enjoyed it. Perhaps next time I'm over you can play it again so I can hear more of the songs.
Post a Comment