Sunday, October 12, 2008

Twenty-Five by Forty

This was going to be my list of forty goals to accomplish by the time I'm forty years old. I don't tend to be an ambitious person, though, so there are only twenty-five goals.

--DJ

He didn't like my suggestions of "create a scrapbook" and "play Nancy Drew with Sara." So much for working together for common life goals. -- SJ

1. Read Dante’s Divine Comedy
2. Start learning Spanish
3. Take piano lessons for a year
4. Learn how to bake bread from scratch
5. Go to a play
6. Take kids to Disney World
7. Memorize the seven penitential Psalms
8. Witness to a non-Christian
9. Make a deep friend
10. Take a retreat at Holy Cross Monastery
11. Read through the entire Bible in a year
12. Read Sienkiewicz’s Polish trilogy
13. Write a good poem
14. Teach a class on Church history
15. Go away for a weekend with Sara
16. Memorize the Lord’s Prayer and Apostles’ Creed in Latin
17. Go to a performance of Durufle’s Requiem
18. Get to a weight of 190 pounds
19. Drive a PT cruiser
20. Ride in a limousine
21. Have 6 months worth of pay in savings account
22. Buy a nice fedora
23. Learn to play guitar
24. Get article published in Touchstone
25. Buy a good big seascape

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Darren, when you're ready to make bread, I've got an absolutely smashing recipe to send you! It turned me into a regular bread-maker and motivated me to get rid of my bread machine. Let me know when you're ready for it! Love, Mrs. V.

Darren said...

Thanks for the offer! Right now, I love my bread machine - it's very easy.

I tend to get intimidated by baking, especially bread. Cooking, frying, crock-pot - all those are familiar to me. But recipes dealing with flour, sugar, and eggs are a little scary.

For last St. Michael's Day, I made a Scottish bannock (flat bread). I probably wouldn't have taken it on, because it was kind of complex, but it didn't involve the oven, just the skillet.

Amy Jordon said...

Darren, I like how your goals seem attainable, like number two. Starting to learn Spanish is such a nice alternative to "learn Spanish" and not so overly ambitious that you lose sight of the finish line and never start the race. Happy birthday.

Gabe said...

Ah, Durufle! I thought I was the only soul on earth who was enthralled by that wonderful Requiem. It deserves far more notoriety than it gets. But I bet the chances of finding a live performance of it are better in D.C. than in Charleston...

Happy birthday!

Jmaestro said...

For me, the older I get, the longer my list gets, which is probably not a good thing. I am definitely with you on the seascape, but it's probably good that you put it last, because those things are insanely expensive and that goal is going to be at odds with #21, unless you were planning on #21 so that you could do #25. On the whole, though, I'd have to say that's one of the most unique lists I've seen and it's nice to see one that doesn't have skydiving, writing a screen play, or making a million dolars on it.

Zana said...

I dunno, Sara - I'm a big scrapbooking fan too, but if the professor put #15 on a list of his own goals, I'd take that hands-down over scrapbooking any day! ::grin::