Saturday, October 25, 2008

Back to Basics

I called Darren at work just as he was shutting down his computer. "Hey, could you stop by the grocery store on the way home and pick up some things?"

"Sure. Want to text me the list? Oh, hold on, you could email my legal assistant in the next couple minutes and he could print it out for me. His address is..."

"Wait, wait. Or -- this is a pretty radical idea -- you could reach over and pick up a pen off your desk and write down what I tell you."

Pause.

"I'm sticking my tongue out at you."

-- SJ

7 comments:

ljm said...

:)

Rachelle said...

DJ!! My goodness. Have you turned into one of those privileged lawyer-types?!? Say it isn't so. Don't you remember saying, "You will never believe what he asked me to do today?"

What's next? Asking him to park your car for you? :)

Nah, it will never happen. You married a good southern girl who will keep you humble.

the Joneses said...

In DJ's defense, he thought I was talking about the thirty-five item grocery list on the fridge, instead of three or four for the ASD party. But it's not as funny that way.

-- SJ

the Joneses said...

Actually, Nicholas, and Kelly before him, have been remarkably long-suffering legal assistants. Both of them have made library runs for me, and picked me up at the garage when I drop off the car to suck money out of my wallet.

--DJ

Reason said...

I’ll have to remember this when people ask me what exactly it is I do.

“…up to and including grocery lists (when the list is over 30 items.”

D said...

Oh my gosh!!! Awesome little story! I'm cracking up! Really, I am.

Kelly Sauer said...

He annexed Pete too - married to his legal assistant! And there was the time he sent me to rescue SJ when she got locked out of the house...