**This post comes with the usual disclaimer: We are not having a baby -- we're just playing with names.**
Out of curiosity, what do you think of the following names?
1. Henry
2. Margaret
3. Spencer
4. Fairlight
(My mother wanted me to include #4, because #3 reminded her of it. Anyone know what book the name came from?)
-- SJ
Sunday, April 06, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
HI HI HI!!! I'M HERE!!!
1) Love. It. Almost used it for most recent baby. It is allegedly trendy, but I think the long roots make it "currently in a popular surge," not "trendy."
2) Love. It. Ever since reading A Wrinkle in Time. Used to plan on using it with nickname Meg (and Megawatt et al).
3) I think of this as a late-'90s name. Too lazy to look it up to see if I'm right.
4) Um. Middle name, perhaps?
Fairlight?
Christy by Catherine Marshall. :O)
Yeah, Fairlight's from "Christy" by Catherine Marshall, right?
1) Not really into the name, myself. Seems a little dated.
2)I really like this name based on its meaning - "pearl." Sounds delicate, and I love the "Meg" nickname. Pete won't let me use it, though, b/c we have a niece with the "Margaret."
3) First thought: "Spencer Gifts." Like the name for a dashing-type hero in a historical novel - say maybe 1890's/1900?
4) Can't get past the "Christy" connotations on that one, though if I was a vegan naturalist, it would fit very well with Summer, Forest, and Meadow.
What I want to know if why that name I sent you last week wasn't #5?
ps - Henry is really growing on me... feel free to use it for number four when/if... I will gladly be an Aunt to him!!
I like Henry (it's classic and "kingly") but wonder if people would shorten it. And I LOVE Margaret, especially the nickname Maggie.
I have always loved Spencer because calling out the door, "SPENCE!!" just sounds cool! eight boys and not a single Spencer -- guess who DOESN'T like it?? :)
geni
Henry was my maiden name. I grew up hearing, "Nina Allison Henry, come here now!" (Or whatever followed my full name when I knew I was in trouble!) Then I became a teacher and heard, "Miss Henry, Miss Henry someone stole my pencil." (For some reason this someone always wants to steal stubby chewed on pencils, then places them on the floor right under the students' chair.) Anyway... there is no way I can think of the name Henry as anything other than a last name.
'Margaret' was my children's babysitter for 5 years. I will never be able to think of that name without thinking of her, that is a good thing. There are a lot of nice nicknames for Margaret.
Spencer is a good name. I like it.
Fairlight- sounds like a name for a freespirted girl.
Fairlight Margaret Henry??!!
-Nina
Post a Comment