Don't Mind Me, Just Sputtering Over Here... An acquaintance was telling me about a church they recently began attending (which definitely isn't what I'm looking for in my church experience). "They have a great children's program. We drop our kids off at 9:00 for Sunday School, and then they have their own Children's Church from 11:00 to 12:00. So we have three whole hours on Sunday mornings to ourselves." She paused, remembering who she was talking to. "You're a homeschooler, so you're used to being with your kids all the time. But I find I really need that break."
From the Randomizer... "God often surprises us by letting us eat food." (Not sure exactly what theology she's working off here, but it sounds a tad harsher than your normal mainstream American Christianity.) Also, as I was taking Daphne out of the bathtub, "Let her run around, as is the custom."
Daphne's Words... She has a wide vocabulary of individual words. Including:
"hice" (ice)
"pease" (tea)
"dimp" (jump or trampoline)
"pretty" (a noun, meaning "anything I can drape around my shoulders")
"sing" (music)
"hent" (again)
"ap-hi" (airplane)
"yuppee!" (either the computer game "Lemmings," in which the little Lemmings say "Yippee!", or just the computer in general)
"uppity" (upupupPICKMEUP!)
"No!" (I don't care for that, thank you).
At Least He's Sincere... When Daphne puts on a "pretty," she goes from person to person to collect compliments. I instructed Stuart, "She wants you to tell her she's beautiful." But the sentimental sensor kicks in pretty early for males. When Daphne comes to him for admiration, Stuart says in just the right tone of voice, "Ohhh! How gooey! You look so gooey!" She's happy, he's happy, who's complaining?
For the Record... California's fling with homeschooling law is disrupting our comfortable, routine lifestyle, and we are not grateful.
Thursday, April 17, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
They make me laugh out loud! Especially because I now have personal experience with the uppity.
For the record, we in CA salute you and give you laud and honour for supporting your husband so faithfully. Like military spouses who deserve a medal of honour for doing their part in protecting our liberty (both foreign and domestic), please know we are grateful and will do as much as we can to improve the situation as quickly as possible. Come time to storm the gates of whatever body of government responsible for your current discomfort and felicity, we will be there...semper fi!!!
Addie cracks me up!
I'm glad to know that fighting for homeschooling freedom in CA is in good hands!
I find myself laughing right out loud at Addie and your descriptions of her comments...
Oh, that's a great thing to know, that merely being used to doing something enough relieves you of the need for a break from it. I should get used to being awake all the time, so I could get over this silly habit of sleeping. Good grief!!! Why do people perpetually assume that since one can do/does do/has done something a lot, his/her liking for that thing must exceed one's own? 'Oh, you like kids? Here, work in the nursery.'
I LOVE the Randomizer! I think you should compile one of those little mini-books ( although at this point, it probably wouldn't be so mini) of her sayings. ( you know the kind... that people keep in their guestrooms or bathrooms or what-have-you...AS IS THE CUSTOM!)
Yes, Addie has done wonders for my blogging material. Another one today, when I broke it to her that the gift bag in her closet wasn't a present, but merely full of more gift bags: "Oh! Duped by a bag!"
Janice: Shuffling my feet a little at your accolades. I mean, all we're talking about here are a few late nights, a lost weekend, and a few days away at a conference. Absolutely not fun if you happen to be absolutely tired of kid-duty, but hardly heroic sacrifice. Um, most people would even point out that it's part of being married to somebody who, um, has a job. Still, thanks for the vote of confidence!
-- SJ
"How gooey!" Awesome
Post a Comment