Socially Acceptable Conversation... Darren (who, to mention in passing, just got back from California, and we were commiserating over what a very long trip it is across the country, and I pointed out that no wonder he was tired, as he'd made a trip in half a day that used to take months, with much less chance of survival) was in line to pay for something. He was listening to the two women in front of him as they talked about husbands, children, the usual. Then one woman turned and said to both her companion and Darren,
"I've got two children and my husband just got snipped!"
Why do people think this is an appropriate subject for public conversation with strangers?
"Oh, thanks for mentioning a very personal decision and intimate surgical procedure. Can I ask for details?" Only, people like that might take you up on it.
Next Time I'll Just Be Anonymous... Leah G stayed Saturday night with me while Darren was gone, and she and I took the kids out to Cracker Barrel. Or, the kids and I took Leah out to Cracker Barrel. Or, they just came along because I decided that's where we'd go so I wouldn't have to cook.
I usually give my name to the hostess as "Jones," but this time thought I'd avoid any possible confusion in case any other Joneses dropped in. I gave her my first name (and didn't even say a thing when she put an H on it, not that it bothered me anyway). A few minutes later, she called, "Sarah R. and party, your table is ready." I leaped ahead, then stopped. Wait. I hadn't given her a last initial. Wait. My last initial isn't R anymore. Sure enough, I was called a few minutes later, and there were a few baffling moments when nobody could sort out which Sarah was which. My meal was flavored with irony.
Speaking of Social Niceties... Meanwhile, Addie introduced Leah to the hostess as "this is Leah and she is of our party." Not exactly welcome considering the flurry of the moment, but better than discussing intimate surgeries.
Cool Thing... Check out Sipahhs. It got us through Darren's California trip.
-- SJ
Monday, April 28, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hey Sara,
I don't have an email address for you, so I thought I'd leave a comment and hope it'd get to you. :-)
Just wanted to see if you got the invitation to the jewelry show Katy and I are hosting on Thursday. If not, let me know and I'll give you the details. We'd love to have you!
You can email me at kerin at joshandkerin dot com.
ps - I like reading your blog when I get the chance. :-)
Post a Comment