Saturday, August 22, 2009

Commencing Year Four

I'm in no hurry to finish up summer, so we officially begin school in two weeks when our weekly co-op starts back up. I'm teaching third grade, second grade, and pre-K all kind of smudged together. Inspired by Rachelle and Amy, I figured I'd post my school plans for the like seven people who would be interested in them. The rest of you are welcome to go back and read our archives until I'm done.

I don't like curriculum guides and I hate charts, but I and the kids all operate well on a routine. A couple of weekends ago, Darren gave me the Saturday off so I could find a quiet spot and work out a schedule. I have two goals: keep the kids interested in their work, and finish by noon.

With those goals in mind, it's impossible to cover all the important subjects in one day. So I've split the schedule into an A-Day and B-Day.

A-Day
9:30
Bible with all 3 older kids.

For A&S, this means going over the lectionary readings for the upcoming Sunday. I haven't figured out what Daphne's part in it will be.

10:00
Math (Stuart)
Reading/Handwriting/Grammar (Addie)
Preschool workbook (Daphne)

I use Horizons math, which has a colorful layout that makes math look more fun. For RHG, I plan to incorporate whatever they're doing for co-op's Book Club class (make it good, Deige!). I also bought some Language Arts workbooks. For Daphne, I bought a great big "fundamentals" workbook. We've already done several pages, and she's an enthusiastic student. For those who didn't notice, I love workbooks. I'd be happy to spend the rest of my homeschooling career assigning workbooks.

10:45
Addie and Stuart switch subjects, and Daphne goes back to watch a video.

Yes, indeed, I'm incorporating video into my school schedule. I don't even care if it's educational. After all, I'll also have Phillip to throw wrenches into the works every morning.

11:30
Elective

I hope to find a Spanish curriculum to start Addie and Stuart on this year.


B-Day
9:30
Awana (A&S)
Bible (Daphne)
Addie and Stuart are both in Sparkies. Daphne will work on that vague "Bible" thing again.

10:00
Math (Stuart)
History (Addie)
Workbook (Daphne)

Our history for the fall and winter is a book called "World History and the Bible," which puts events in the Bible in context with the rest of the world.

10:45
Switch subjects; video


11:30
Elective

We're considering piano lessons. But I'm absolutely uninterested in having to cart kids to lessons, and entertain other kids during said lessons.

Thursday Co-Op
Book Club, Spelling, Science, P.E., Geography

Daphne will graduate from the nursery into preschool. When Stuart did preschool at co-op, he mostly learned "Sit." Daph, I think, will have to learn "Who Is The Boss Here?"

Darren will be teaching a class this year: every other Thursday he'll have the older boys (ages 9-12) for "Great Battles." Not only should the subject matter appeal, but I suspect the boys will be relieved to have a teacher with a deep voice and facial hair.

That's our lineup for fall. We've bought school supplies, I've got the books together, the schedule's all ready... now all I'm waiting for is my enthusiasm. It'll probably kick in the first morning I sit down with the kids and start to teach them.

-- SJ

7 comments:

Kelly` said...

Hey Sara,

I like it. I'm so not there yet, but I like it.

Thought I'd pass on a link to foster some... enthusiasm. It's morning. What can I say?

Rachelle said...

As I've started planning I have realized why first-borns are statistically more academic. I read your schedule with interest as to how to teach two different grade levels (or three) without becoming burnt-out, exhausted, or confused. Kyri is joining Ben for Bible and art. I'm hoping Ben decides to teach the younger ones someday. I'll work it in to his curriculum.

Amy Jordon said...

Ah, Sara, I'm not sure if your schedule inspires or scares me. I really like your idea of being finished by noon. I always enjoyed that with my schooling.
I think I have another year before we start.

Dana said...

Too bad I'm an ex-piano teacher and live so far from you. I'd come over!

D said...

I'm impressed. I'm taking notes too. I need to do some stuff with Cary now.

KMS said...

"Great Battles," eh, Darren? Me hears whispers of Stoneman and Learning Center. Will you have them make the model of Agincourt and watch Henry V, or does Agincourt not make the cut, now that you're the boss?

KMS said...

"Great Battles," eh, Darren? Me hears whispers of Stoneman and Learning Center. Will you have them make the model of Agincourt and watch Henry V, or does Agincourt not make the cut, now that you're the boss?