Monday, November 28, 2011

Monday Rant

It's Monday after a holiday, and I will rant.

I could rant about a lot of things, actually. Like stores opening on midnight on Thanksgiving. Come on, America. Can't you enjoy the whole day before flinging yourself into a frenzy of acquisition? I know it's fun and a tradition and gives you a head rush, but you do realize that when you shop, other people have to run the store? Meaning that you get to spend your fun Thanksgiving with family, then head out to get great deals, then go home and rest... while employees cut short their celebrations so they'll be rested enough to work a twelve-hour shift. Sometimes we need to step back and say, "We've gone a little bit too far." This is one of those times.

Or I could rant about Puff, the Magic Dragon. Daphne has learned to play the whole song on the piano, complete with simple chords. I'm very impressed with her accomplishment, but I don't think I can adequately communicate how many times we have heard this song. Two weeks ago I knew only the first line. Now I know the whole song. The thing is, I've never been very taken by Puff as an adult. I had the impression that, despite its engaging tune and fun words, it was a sad song. Turns out I was right.

It sounds like a kid song, with lyrics like, "... and brought him string and sealing wax, and other fancy stuff." But then it gets to the last verse, and suddenly it's aimed at adults? Talking about loss of innocence? ("Dragons live forever, but not so little boys. Painted wings and giant springs make way for other toys. One gray night it happened, Jackie came no more. And Puff, that mighty dragon, ceased his fearless roar.") In which case, the cute lyrics become cloying, and children cry. Ask any child who has listened to the entire song, and you'll be told that

A. Jackie Paper dies
B. Puff dies
C. I don't like that part because it's sad.

I had to assure Daphne that she could make up a new ending, in which another little girl or boy comes to Puff's cave, and Puff comes out to play again. I find the entire song extremely annoying, and now hold a grudge against Peter, Paul and Mary.

And then there are Thomas trains. They attach one certain way, face-forward. Except the coach Clarabelle, whose face points backwards. It frustrates adults who aren't all that interested in re-attaching them anyway, because these trains always meet dire and catastrophic ends off the edge of the couch ("Oh no! Down! Choo-choo down! Mama mama mama mama down! Choo-choo!")

Is it Tuesday yet?

-- SJ

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

It isn't Tuesday yet, but it certainly is Monday here, too. Blogger won't publish my comment as Google Account, so I am going to try anonymous. Mom

Rachelle said...

I am baffled at the whole black Friday thing. I hate it...the Friday after Thanksgiving is my day of rest. Except for when your husband has a Court of Appeals hearing on Monday. (Well, I still rested.)

Diary of an Autodidact said...

As far as I am concerned, there are only three ways I like to spend Black Friday:

1. Hanging Christmas lights.
2. Hiking, sledding, skiing - outdoor activities of some sort depending on weather and location.
3. If the weather is nasty, curling up with a good book, Christmas music and a warm fire in the background.

You shopper sorts have fun...

TheLab said...

This is one of the funniest posts I've ever read! I'm sorry, I'm laughing loudly at your annoyances! Puff the Magic Dragon, I never knew! Funny, I was just thinking about how much I can't stand kid movies, which surprises me since I'm a fantasy geek and such. But I get it, I get the annoyances! The Thomas thing - didn't know that, either! The boys love Thomas, but we never bought the trains, thank GOODNESS, as the facing the wrong direction thing would certainly drive me nuts, too!

EXCELLENT post!!!!!

Nelida Renee said...

lol. Poor Puff.

Anonymous said...

First, I need to apologize for allowing Mollie to help Daphne learn Puff on the piano. I should have explained that while teaching her is a wonderful way to spend the afternoon, the song becomes very irritating to adults. Only I didn't tell her that, because well, because,... she wasn't botheringme!!!
Second, thank you for the well put opinion of Black Friday. If you ever want to write an article or a petition about stores opening at a normal time... I support you totally!! Perhaps some day we can actually enjoy Thanksgiving with Dana!!

-Nina

KMS said...

Does Jackie die, or does he just grow up? I mean, of course he dies sometime, but I read the lyrics to mean that he moved on to other toys (pursuits other than Puff), so then Puff retreated to his cave. Because childhood figures are prominent only as long as the children retain their childhood innocence and imaginations. Right? So I would have interpreted it as a celebration of childhood and imagination, but maybe I'm just being optimistic.

Of course the song IS sad if you're dreading your children growing up. But I have a feeling that yours will retain their imaginations into adulthood, so don't cry too hard. :-)

the Joneses said...

Jackie grows up. But that's not how children interpret it. Or if they do, it's still very sad. They don't have the perspective that adults do; the thought of outgrowing a close friend and fun adventures cuts deeply. It's a stupid song.

-- SJ