Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Five and a Half

We stuck it out for a year, but this week we officially decided that Tae Kwon Do is a finished experiment. Darren had to stop back in February because of his neck, and I think the kids' interest drained once Daddy wasn't involved. Also there was the matter of class structure and having to do things a certain way, which my kids consider serious killjoys.

Trying to think of another activity to fill in the void, I came up with a couple of ideas for Addie. Nothing for Stuart, though. I bemoaned this fact to Darren, who said, "He doesn't have to have something to do, you know. He's only five and a half years old."

I stopped. It's the accepted thing here that you'll have your children in at least one organized activity, possibly before they're actually born. Truth is, Stuart doesn't actually have to be enrolled in an activity or sport. He's only five and a half: plenty of time for structure and sports later, if that's what he likes. For now, he can stay at home and run around the yard, pretending to be various computer-game characters. And we don't have to load up twice a week to get to some sort of activity on time, then rush home to get supper done on time. That's our preferred style of life: it's good to know that we're free to do it that way.

-- SJ

5 comments:

Barbara said...

I envy you so much. ;)

Heather said...

Meanwhile I resent ANYTHING that requires me to be some place at a certain time, therefore our children are not in anything. If they decide, down the road, that they want to, then so be it but we don't have the money and I definitely can't deal with that lost time. :)

Rachelle said...

I'm amazed at how my friends who work full time manage to get their kids to swimming lessons, ballet lessons, etc.... I am simply exhausted with daily life.

the Joneses said...

Barbara -- You know very well that after two weeks of my life you and your kids would be bored silly and dying to get out and be part of something!

-- SJ

Jmaestro said...

Well, at age five, I pretty much played in the yard and ate dirt, but then again, we know how all that turned out. So you might want to at least tell Stuart not to eat dirt. Other than that, freedom to tear up the yard is awesome.