Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Playing with Knives

Several months ago, Darren developed a pinched nerve in his neck that affects his arm. Since the problem hasn't fixed itself, he's scheduled for surgery in two weeks.

As you can imagine, we're just uncontainably excited about this prospect. It's a one-day hospital stay, but a two-week home-from-work recovery. While Darren isn't the type who slathers to be at work, two weeks away from the office is enough to drive me mad. Him mad. I meant, enough to drive HIM mad.

Then he'll replace his stiff white deacon collar with a Big Neck Brace Collar. For six weeks. Let's count it, class! One, two, three, drum head against wall...

Seriously, although the prospect looks pretty big from this vantage point, the doctor is reassuringly cheerful about the whole thing. June 17 is the Day of Jollity. Spare him a thought or two.

-- SJ

7 comments:

Heather said...

Oh ick!

Queen of Carrots said...

That sounds like no fun for all concerned. Hope everything goes smoothly.

Anonymous said...

And we'll spare him more than a couple prayers!

So sorry that this means you will all be missing the company picnic...again. =(

~ Leah

Amy K said...

Ugh. We'll be praying for you guys! Hopefully he'll have lots of good books waiting for him when he gets back from surgery.

Anonymous said...

This was intended to be a comment of sympathy, but you got me laughing with the "...drive me mad. Him mad. I meant, enough to drive HIM mad" thing, and now I'm just snorting and no longer in the right mindset to say, "Oh, dear, hope everything goes well!"

Zana said...

Prayers going up for Darren, the doctors, the kids and especially for Sara's sanity! 8-)

Jmaestro said...

Is there going to be an over/under betting line for how many books Darren will read while in convalescence? I really want to get in on that. I'm going to go with 20 books in 2 weeks, or do you think I'm being too conservative? And does this mean that Sara can leave the kids with him and hit the socialite scene with a vengeance? Is Darren a cranky consumptive, or jolly? I really have a lot of questions here that weren't answered in the initial post. Can you at least tell us whether or not he will have a cool scar that he can show to his grandkids and call a "war wound"?