Next time I do a “weekend away,” I’m not letting Daphne choose where we stay.
What was supposed to be a 24-hour hospital stay for observation has turned into a three-day fight against a respiratory virus. It was Friday morning that I noticed Daphne was wheezing and working hard to breathe. Experience with Stuart has taught me how to categorize symptoms: fever = leave alone and watch; cough = leave alone (or dose with Dimetapp) and watch; wheezing – very bad, don’t wait, take child in immediately. So I did, and two hours later the older kids were with a neighbor and Daphne was being admitted into the Pediatric Ward with RSV.
RSV doesn’t stand for Respiratory Something Virus, but that’s what I call it. In adults, it’s a lingering cold. Its effect gets worse the younger the body, so that it’s downright dangerous in infants. It causes the airways to swell and fill with mucous. Babies’ airways are so small that it doesn’t take long before their breathing is seriously threatened.
Daphne has endured breathing treatments, blood being drawn, X-rays for pneumonia (negative, thankfully), and rectal thermometers. Throughout, she’s been as cooperative as you can expect from a 5-month old, and has been in remarkably good temper most of the time. (Not all of the time.)
She’s just been diagnosed with a double ear infection on top of everything else, so we’re still here for the time being. Fortunately, it’s a good hospital; the staff is excellent and the care is top notch. Although the room is small, it’s beginning to feel “homey,” by which I mean that there are dirty dishes on the table and the laundry is reaching a critical point. Occasional visits from Darren and the older two brighten things up, but I’ll be glad to get back home. It’s been a long weekend for all of us.
--SJ (as typed by DJ)
Sunday, February 04, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Oy! I have seen many signs on the dangers of RSV, although I can't remember what it all stands for either. Hope Daphne is ready to come home soon. We'll pray for you all.
I spent my "weekend getaway" at the WMC with Hannah back in September...the same week she was diagnosed with asthma. Not fun. You would think that they would give better sleeping surfaces there, but I guess they're better than they could be. Luckily, she's the only one who's been admitted to the hopital for wheezing and lung problems but Jacob's first year was spent in the pediatrician's office with bronchiolittis (the precursor to RSV).
See if they can get you a prescription for liquid albuterol that you can give after you get home...another thing Jacob lived on his first year. We've got the big guns now...the full blown nebulizer with little albuterol packets. Between daily doses of Singulair and Pulmucort (and occasional doses of albuterol) we've finally gotten Hannah under control.
It's so scary to have the little ones sick like that. I'm so glad you knew what to do and got her in so quickly! I'll be saying a prayer for you all. Please keep us updated!
BTW, RSV stands for Respiratory Syncytial Virus...but I like your description better!
Oh man! Your weekend sounds worse than ours...I'm so sorry. That must have been so scary to see her struggle for air.
Hope she is well soon!
Whoa, I'll be praying for you guys, and that little Daphne gets better soon.
Poor baby girl!! And poor baby girl's parents! Sending lots of prayer your way.
Love, Aunt Lindsay
You guys are in our prayers, especially little Daphne! I was just reading about RSV. We'll continue to pray!
we're home now (i'm typing with a wheezy but perky baby on my lap). thanks for praying and don't stop yet!
-- sj
Oh poor baby. Ben had RSV a year ago (exactly). He was a little older and didn't have to be hospitalized but we know all about breathing treatments. Hope you are all sleeping well and Daphne is comfortable. -rlr
Post a Comment