So we wondered, What are our comfort books? Which are the books we never get tired of reading, the stories we know so well we've absorbed them into our thinking? It's been an entertaining mull-over. Not surprisingly, most of my choices are Y/A fiction, mostly because I grew up reading them; I've added a grown-up book here and there for good measure. Darren's list is just a strange mixture.
Here's a non-exhaustive but representative list from each of us:
Sara:
* A Little Princess
* Any of the Narnia books -- especially The Horse and His Boy
* Pride and Prejudice
* Seven Days to a Brand-New Me by Ellen Conford (remember reading this one, Dana?)
* A Royal Pain by Ellen Conford (Conford books are hard to find these days, but when I was a young teenager, I thought she was funniest thing I'd come across since, well, myself.)
* Any Encyclopedia Brown book
* The Golf Omnibus, a collection by P.G. Wodehouse
And a few newer candidates for Sara's list:
* Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine
* The Stravaganza series by Mary Hoffman
* The Oxford Book of Humourous Prose, by Frank Muir
* Any Brother Cadfael book
Darren:
* The Riddle Master of Hed trilogy by Patricia McKillip
* Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
* Any Dick Francis book, especially To the Hilt and 10 Pound Penalty
* The Westing Game
* A Swiftly Tilting Planet by Madeleine L'Engle
* Starship Troopers by Robert Heinlein
* The Harley Quin stories by Agatha Christie
* The Walking Drum by Louis L'Amour
* The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan
* Evangelical is not Enough by Thomas Howard
* The Practice of the Presence of God
* The Princess and Curdie by George MacDonald
* Beowulf translated by Seamus Heaney
A couple newer ones:
* The 1928 Book of Common Prayer
* The X-Wing series, especially the Stackpole ones
* A Little Princess
What are some of your comfort books?
P.S. Oops. Were we supposed to put "The Bible" as our first ones?
--SJ and DJ
5 comments:
Hurray for the Xwing books! Though in my case I couldn't call them "comfort" books :-)
My favorite comfort books are:
-Jane Eyre, by Charlotte Bronte
-any P.D. Wodehouse book with Jeeves in it
-any Dave Barry book
-Fox Trot comic-strip books
-any Miss Manners (Judith Martin) book
A book that I like to read every year is Enders game as well. I think Roald Dahl could be put on the list as well.
Great topic! Here are a couple more options:
-Agatha Christie mysteries (great weekend books)
-Elizabeth Goudge!
And, since someone else mentioned it, I'll just add that I'm teaching Jane Eyre right now and am blown away all over again by both the story and the story-telling.
-The Secret Garden
-Betsy Tacy Books
- Pride & Prejudice
- Agatha Christie books
-One of James Herriots' books
-Caps for Sale, Mr. Wilmer, Rabbit Hill, Make Way for Ducklings, Courderoy(children's books I hope to some day read to my children)
to name a few. :)
Post a Comment