Tuesday, February 28, 2006

It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Lent

Today is Mardi Gras, which I celebrated by eating two Take-5 bars because I won't be eating anything like it for another forty days. Tomorrow is Ash Wednesday, which ushers in the pentiential season of Lent. Managing to be pregnant on Ash Wednesday has spared me a day's fasting. Unfortunately I can't argue the same about chocolate, ice cream, and blogging, all of which are very dear to me; I'm giving up them up during this season. This year Darren isn't giving up blogging, so he'll keep me abreast of all the exciting (and otherwise) developments until Easter.

Lent is a very serious time of reflection, repentance, and renewal. All the Lenten songs reinforce that attitude. I was pondering possibilities for a lighter, more user-friendly type of Lent song. For instance:

It's beginning to look a lot like Lent!
When we're solemn and penitent.
Remembrance, examination
Meditation on damnation
And how for our sins Jesus was sent! (sorry, this is getting worse as I go)

Lent, that "bright sorrow,"
Officially begins tomorrow.
It's a long forty days,
But at the end you're always
Glad you went through it.

The real problem with this type of song catching on is the tradition that you don't say "Alleluia" during Lent. I can't imagine how you can have a praise song that doesn't involve at least six repetitions of "Alleluia."

Farewell, all and sundry. See you on Easter!

-- SJ

11 comments:

Danielle said...

See you after Easter. Although you probably won't see this post, I've been thinking a lot about keeping Lent this year. I've thought about it over the past year, and then kind of forgot until today! It's apart of the Christian tradition I'd like to give more thought to in the future, and actually participate in.

the Joneses said...

It's not Ash Wednesday yet. :)

This is only my third or fourth Lent to observe, but it's been immensely rewarding in just this short time. I'm usually tired of the discipline by the end, but spiritually and emotionally refreshed. Plus it really makes Easter a celebration! I encourage you to look into observing Lent, even in a small way.

-- SJ

Queen of Carrots said...

You're not allowed to sing Alleluia during Lent? Intriguing. So we could just give up praise songs for Lent.

We shall miss you. Have a blessed (right adjective?) Lent!

Claire said...

Your decision not to post during Lent has killed two proverbial birds with one decision. My thing to give up during Lent is going to be reading your posts. Wah. I guess it won't be too hard to keep from doing it, since it's not up to me. Wah. I look forward to reading your posts so this is a GREAT sacrifice for me. And again I say, Wah.

Anonymous said...

Till Easter? Again?Grooooooooannnnnn.

Booker said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Isaac Demme said...

Ha! I gave up blogging for Lent too, but you know what?
Sundays are not Lenten fast days.
(Yeah I know, I'm making it easy for myself).

Zoanna said...

I love the Lenten jingle. Especially "meditation on damnation." Very creative.

I didn't grow up observing Lent in my denomination. Never knew about "alleluia" being a traditional taboo during this season. Where'd THAT come from? I mean Palm Sunday is the day for saying "allelulia" to Jesus in remembrance of his triumphal entry into Jerusalem. I'm curious about why it's nixed until Easter.

Janice Phillips said...

Looking forward to April 17th.

Rachelle said...

My Lent started with good intentions.... Pregnancy though is its own kind of Lent. Isn't it about over yet!?! I'm ready for you to blog and the 1st trimester to end. Oh, and EASTER!-rlr

ljm said...

Lent never seemed so long...