I haven't had anything to blog about for the past several days, but in the interests of keeping reader interest, here is a post to tide you over until my blogblock is gone.
* Honey and peanut-butter sandwiches are great pick-me-ups in the middle of the afternoon.
* We got new neighbors, only it's taken them forever to actually move into their house. I and my friend across the street refer to them as "the Phantom Neighbors." But we think they have young kids, so we're eager to make their acquaintance.
* I split an infinitive in the previous paragraph.
* Darren arranged with a neighbor to attend a monthly men's gathering. I said, "So this is like a support group for men, right? You sit and share your struggles, give encouragement, cry and laugh?" Pause. "Where are the affirmative mm-hmms?" He replied, "I'm waiting for you to suggest something interesting." I think they just sit around and talk.
* As Lindsay blogged, she was nice to a car rental guy and got upgraded from an $18/day economy car to a brand new Sebring convertible, at no extra charge. Nothing like having blond hair, a dazzling smile, and (in Lindsay's own words) psycho-blue eyes. In case there are any other ordinary, brown-haired, hazel-eyed girls wondering... no, life isn't fair.
* I am a night person, and I do all right in late morning. But I hate afternoons. About two years ago, I detected a pattern: every day around 3:30 when I was changing yet another diaper, I'd wail that I wanted a new job and didn't like this one anymore. Eventually I figured out that life got better if I held on till evening. Also I ate honey and peanut butter.
-- SJ
Wednesday, September 14, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
11 comments:
I echo your hatred of afternoons. That's my hardest time too esp. since Ethan doesn't take naps...it just drags. I'll have to try the sandwich remedy!
Ok, first, I want to state that I am a HUGE peanut butter fan. I mean, I eat pb and mayo, with or with out cheese. Pb and bologna. Pb by itself. so i like pb, that has been established.
But, pb and honey? I just dont know. It seems wrong somehow, almost un-American! *sings National Anthem to ward off un-American'ess*
:)
Huzzah for infinitive-splitting!
To intrepidly split infinitives is to firmly identify with the historic greatness of the English language against the tyrannical forces of Latinization.
To confidently split infinitives is to more fully identify with the Germanic roots of the English language, and to respectfully join the company of Shakespeare, Donne, Wordsworth, and Tolkien.
What have the prescriptive grammarians given us besides headaches and longer grammars?
Thank you for making me know I'm not the only mom who occasionally longs for a new job! The feeling, when it comes, almost always hits in the mid-afternoon for me too--usually while changing diaper #19 or pulling Tucker out of the bathroom cupboard for the 15th time or answering a 5-year-old's incessant questions while the toddler and baby are hollering about who-knows-what. But by evening life always looks so much better. Sounds like we're cut out of the same cloth.
And when it comes to splitting infinitives, that's one of those ancient and outdated grammar rules that you're allowed to break--especially if you're Sara Jones and have such a great command of the English language.
And just in case any opposite-fenced grass is momentarily increasing in luminescence, 3:30 is the worst time to be in an office, too. Or even in a beautiful and quiet rectory. :-)
Derrick, I hate to point out that YOUR uses of pb are actually not so normal as pb and honey. But what's a Canadian know about American-ness, anyway?
I'm not so careful about infinitives as I used to be, but my mother was absolutely death on them. I've even learned not to split them when I *speak.* I'll tell you one thing that grammarians have done for us, Isaac -- it gives us word-freaks an edge of superiority over the rest of the world. I guess you can't really despise Shakespeare and Tolkien, though.
(Note to any friends who know my feelings about Shakespeare: I'm perfectly willing to acknowledge that he's a great writer. Just don't make me read him.)
It will be some comfort to know that when I hit the 3:30 slump and start contemplating a career change, I'll be in such great company all over the country.
-- SJ
I love peanut butter (the chunky kind) with honey! Sara, do you still eat crackers and mustard?
Not so often, but mostly because I don't drink tea very much anymore. That snack was complete with a big glass of extremely sweet iced tea. Wouldn't Jenna approve of my reformed ways?
-- sJ
Oh, and there was cheese on those crackers with mustard, by the way. If you're going to poke fun at my tastes, at least get it right. :)
-- SJ
I just read your post on Addie the Randomizer & laughed until I cried. Long live the King of Israel!
Mustard, cheese and crackers?? Oh dear. I think I just lost my lunch. ;) For having blogblock, great post! You're a very entertaining writer no matter what you write about. Thanks for the smiles. :)
Post a Comment