Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Lenten Farewell

For those following the "church year," you know very well that Lent begins tomorrow. (Just ask New Orleans: Mardi Gras is today, not that most of the riotous celebrators have any idea why they're celebrating... and probably won't remember much afterward, either).

Lent, being dependent on Easter, is early this year; Valentine's Day gets swallowed up in it. I'm trying to convince Darren that since Valentine's Day is a feast day, we can break the Lent fast for it. Not to imply that Darren is a stickler or anything, but he hasn't come around yet.

It's traditional to observe fasts and/or abstain from certain things during the season of Lent. It isn't because giving up meals, sweets, and meat will make up for any ground you lost during the rest of the year, bringing your balance with God back up to par. The idea is that your desire for your "put aside" pleasures acts as a reminder to focus instead on Christ, on repentance, and on charitable giving.

One "fast" I feel called to this season is to take a break from blogging, instead using the time to concentrate on God and some work He's given me to do. I'll miss checking up on everyone else's doings, not to mention improving the world with my own profound thoughts... but that's the point, right?

Darren may post from time to time, depending on what fast he chooses. But for the most part, Keeping Up (and my contributions to the Martha Blog as well) will lie dormant for a while. But not permanently -- I'll be back in about, oh, forty days.

Y'all come back and see me on Easter!

-- SJ

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

(I'd best post this quickly in hopes that you'll be
checking your blog before midnight tonight!)

What an excellent idea. I can fully appreciate the sacrifice, and I applaud your decision. A true and sincere sacrifice! We will miss you!

~Rose

Amy K said...

Sara - I just realized this morning that it's Mardi Gras, at least for the many people who celebrate it. :)

We'll miss you on the blog sphere but I can definitely appreciate your decision!

Amy

Brooks Lampe said...

This is absolutely horrible. It appears you won't be checking this until Easter anyway, so I can get away with being frank: Withdawing from the social world and your friends is a horrible way to fast... well, I guess that can be disputed, but, it is something that burdens us all. My blog will miss your comments, etc. And... my "Lenten Resolution" was to read your blog more! How can I do that now? I'll be done with all the archived articles by the end of the weekend. :-(

Just kidding. :-) I think this is a good example of the pros and cons of blogging. Pro: blogs allow people to communicate who WOULDN'T NORMALLY communicate. Con: blogs can allow people who would normally communicate to let their relationship degenerate into a "blogship." Maybe I'll be forced to actually TALK to you when I see you now. Humph.